Tuesday 13 June 2017

I fell in love and married a man with dwarfism



Chloe Lusted and husband James are like any other newly married busy couple - they enjoy hanging out together and have recently bought a puppy. But when they first got together, Chloe, 23, faced opposition from her family because James, 29, suffered from a rare genetic condition which causes dwarfism. Here Chloe recounts how their relationship unfolded.
As the phone rang I was nervous. I was about to tell my mum about my new boyfriend and I knew she would be shocked, so I had left it until I was on my journey back to university, almost 200 miles (320km) away.
I told her the name of my new boyfriend and her reaction was pretty instant. She said: "Why Jay, why Jay? Chloe, he is a dwarf, you're not suited."
She couldn't understand what I saw in James, who everyone knows as Jay. She was in shock.
Jay was born with diastrophic dysplasia - a rare genetic condition that causes dwarfism - despite both his parents Dawn and Dave being of average height.
Jay stands at 3ft 7in (1.1m) tall while I am 5ft 7in (1.7m), and that was part of the reason I was so nervous about telling my mum.
I was a bit angry at her at the time, why couldn't she just accept it? But looking back at it now she would have had reservations about any guy I got with.
And because Jay was "different", I guess I can understand why she was so shocked and reacted like she did.
Growing up, I was very much into boys from the age of 16, but I was always looking for a long-term partner.
I have grown up in the church since I was five years old, so it has always been really important to me and I have always wanted to have a wedding and a marriage - I guess I am traditional in that way.

Before Jay I had two long-term relationships and always wanted to settle down with someone, I didn't want to date just any guy. I was always asking myself - is this guy marriage material? And, if not, what am I doing with him?
To be honest, when we first met, I didn't really think about Jay as a potential boyfriend. Because of who he is, and his condition I never really thought about him in that way.
He was friends with friends of mine, and we were acquaintances, but we became friends on the day he carried the Olympic torch when it travelled through Wales in May 2012.
He had been chosen to carry the flame because of his work encouraging others to become involved in disability sport.
Credit: BBC

No comments:

Post a Comment