Wednesday, 28 June 2017

US woman, Monalisa shots boyfriend in YouTube stunt


A Minnesota woman has been charged over the fatal shooting of her boyfriend, in what authorities say was a social media stunt gone wrong.
Monalisa Perez, 19, was booked into county jail after shooting at Pedro Ruiz as he held a book to his chest, believing it would stop the bullet.
The couple's three-year-old child and nearly 30 onlookers watched as she fired the fatal bullet into his chest.
Ruiz's aunt said they did it to increase their social media following.
Claudia Ruiz told WDAY-TV that her nephew had told her he wanted to do the stunt "because we want more viewers, we want to get famous".
"He had told me about that idea and I said, 'Don't do it. Don't do it. Why are you going to use a gun? Why?'" Claudia Ruiz told the news channel.
"They were in love, they loved each other," she said. "It was just a prank gone wrong."
Ms Perez, who is pregnant, is facing charges of second degree manslaughter. She faces her first court appearance on Wednesday.
County Attorney James Brue described the book as a hardcover encyclopaedia, and said the weapon used was a .50-calibre Desert Eagle handgun.
Police have seized two cameras, which are said to have recorded Monday's incident.
The single gunshot was fired from about one foot (30cm) away as neighbours gathered to watch outside their Minnesota home.
She told deputies that the stunt had been Ruiz's idea, and that he had to convince her to do it.
Earlier that day she tweeted about her reservations.
"Everyone was crying. I was standing behind that tree over there. And that was it. I just couldn't take it anymore so I had to go back home," neighbour Wayne Cameron told WDAY-TV.
The couple had started a YouTube channel in March, aiming to show the "the real life of a young couple who happen to be teen parents".
Their most recently uploaded video, on the day that Ruiz died, was titled: "Doing scary stunts at the fair".
Last week Ms Perez told her viewers that it was a "blessing" to have her husband home for the forthcoming birth of their son, who is due in September.

Claudio Bravo sends Chile to Confederations Cup final


Manchester City goalkeeper Claudio Bravo was the hero as Chile reached the Confederations Cup final by beating Portugal on penalties.
Bravo denied efforts from Ricardo Quaresma, Joao Moutinho and Nani as Chile converted all their spot-kicks.
It was perhaps justice for Chile, who had a strong claim for a penalty denied deep in extra time and also hit the post twice in quick succession.
They will play either Germany or Mexico in Sunday's final in St Petersburg.
Arturo Vidal, whose shot hit the post in closing stages of extra-time before Martin Rodriguez's follow up also hit the woodwork, was successful from the spot for Chile along with Charles Aranguiz and Arsenal forward Alexis Sanchez.
The dramatic finale lit up an otherwise dull encounter, with both sides looking tired after playing their fourth game in just 10 days at the tournament in Russia.
Bravo's performance will have come as welcome relief for the goalkeeper at the end of a difficult season domestically.
The 34-year-old was signed by Pep Guardiola from Barcelona last summer to replace England international Joe Hart, but faced criticism for his shot-stopping skills since arriving in a £15.4m deal.
Bravo will have to fight to remain City's first-choice keeper after Guardiola signed Ederson Moraes for £35m from Benfica earlier this month but his focus for now is on leading Chile to the Confederations Cup title.
"We are satisfied with the result and how we played, but we have still not won anything," he said.

DR Congo league club sanctioned, relegated for fan violence


Democratic Republic of Congo premier league club FC Renaissance has been relegated to the second division as part of sanctions after violence by its supporters.
The decision was taken by the Congolese Football League (Linafoot) after it met on Monday following the violence on Saturday, AFP reports.
FC Renaissance was found guilty of the Saturday incident during a championship match between the team and Vita Club at the Martyrs stadium in Kinshasa.
FC Renaissance lost to Vita Club, sparking an attack by their supporters who “threw projectiles while their management invaded the pitch.”
They were also fined $20,000 and tasked to pay for all damages at the stadium.
Prior to the sanction, FC Renaissance – which has a history of fan violence – placed fourth in the top 8 of the final leg of the championship.

Credit: Ismail Akwei