Monday, 11 January 2016

UK wife killer grabbed



 The BBC reporter (middle) and some of the indigenes of Busua who helped in arresting the suspect
A UK resident, Arthur Simpson-Kent, has been arrested at Busua, a popular tourist site in the Ahanta West District of the Western Region, for allegedly killing his actress girlfriend Sian Blake and their two children in London, after which he fled to Ghana.
Daily Guide gathered that Arthur Simpson-Kent was arrested in the late afternoon of Saturday, January 9 in a joint operation by INTERPOL and Ghana Police, with assistance from the indigenes of Busua and Butre, two adjoining communities.
The British fugitive was armed with a knife and a spoon when the police arrested him with the assistance of the chiefs and people of Busua and Butre communities.
He had been a wanted man since the bodies of Sian, Zachary and Amon were found buried in shallow graves in their own back yard.
Interpol put out an international alert for his arrest on Thursday night and Metropolitan Police officers arrived in Ghana Friday to hunt down the Ghanaian-born suspected killer.
He is currently in the custody of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) Headquarters awaiting deportation to his home country for trial.
The two murdered children, Zachary and Amon, were aged 8 and 4 respectively, while their mother was 43.
The suspect was said to have a Ghanaian mother called Selina Simpson and a United Kingdom (UK) father, with his roots traced to Cape Coast.
He was said to have arrived in Ghana on December 19 after allegedly committing the crime in mid-December and was swimming at the outskirts of Busua when he was arrested.
Local residents told Skyy Power FM that it was the owner of a local resort in the district who alerted the police after seeing pictures of the suspect circulating on social media.

Simpson_Kent3444

A BBC reporter, Alastair Leithead, who was in Ghana to help in the manhunt, requested to be put on a platform on WhatsApp to enquire from the members if anyone had knowledge on the suspect.
However, the suspect was arrested a few hours after the BBC reporter had put in the request.
After the arrest, the Police expressed their profound gratitude to the locals for their immense support.
Police Speaks
Briefing the media on his arrest, Commissioner of Police Prosper Kwame Agblor, Director General in charge of Police CID, said the Ghana Police received a request from the National Crime Agency (NCA), through INTERPOL Manchester and British High Commission for assistance to arrest Arthur Simpson-Kent, who fled into the country from the United Kingdom after allegedly murdering his girlfriend Sian Blake and their two children.
He said information gathered indicated that Arthur Kent, in escaping from the United Kingdom, travelled to Glasgow in Scotland from where he flew to Ghana via Amsterdam on December 19, 2015.
Police enquires at the Kotoka International Airport confirmed that Arthur Simpson-Kent arrived in Ghana on December 19, 2015 but he entered on his disembarkation form December 7, 2015, as the date on which he arrived in Ghana.
In the wee hours of Saturday, January 8, 2016, a team of police personnel led by DSP Hanson Gove from the Homicide Unit of the CID apprehended the suspect from his hidey-hole.
Shallow Grave
Bodies of EastEnders actress Sian Blake and her two kids were discovered buried in a shallow grave in the garden behind their apartment at Erith in London.
Miss Blake and her two sons with Mr Simpson-Kent, according to reports, were last seen on December 13, and Mr Simpson-Kent was quizzed by officers at the family’s home in Erith, Kent, on December 16.
Their decomposing bodies were found buried in the back garden of the bungalow on Tuesday – 20 days after they were reported missing.
By Linda Tenyah-Ayettey and Emmanuel Opoku, Takoradi

Golden Globes 2016: Brie Larson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Sylvester Stallone win big



Given their track record over the past decade, it's natural to look towards the Golden Globes when trying to surmise which actors may win when the Oscars roll around next month, and Sunday night Brie Larson and Leonardo DiCaprio cemented their presumptive front-runner status with wins.
Larson has been steadily gaining momentum since September for her nuanced performance in Room, in which she plays a young woman who's raised her young son in total captivity after being kidnapped.
DiCaprio's performance in Golden Globe Best Picture winner The Revenant has been whispered about even before the film was released, and with the actor teaming up with director Alejandro Iñárritu for the film — an Oscar favorite after his Birdman wins last year — this could be the beginning of an awards season wave for the brutal revenge film.


la-et-mn-golden-globes-leonardo-dicaprio-wins-best-actor-drama-20160110


In the musical or comedy category, Matt Damon took home the award for Best Actor for his work in The Martian. (Yes, you read that right, and yes, we're as flummoxed as you are.) Jennifer Lawrence, always a favorite of the Golden Globes (she's won previously for Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle), won for her performance in Joy, beating out Amy Schumer, Melissa McCarthy, Maggie Smith and Lily Tomlin despite that film's lukewarm reception.
But nowhere did the winners seem more Oscar-friendly than in the supporting actor categories.
Kate Winslet won for her role as Apple employee Joanna Hoffman in Aaron Sorkin and Danny Boyle's Steve Jobs, while Sylvester Stallone won the Best Supporting Actor award for taking on the role of Rocky Balboa once again in Ryan Coogler's Creed.
Winslet is an actor who seems to receive an Oscar nomination almost every other year, but she's only won once for the 2009 film The Reader.
Stallone is the kind of nostalgic throwback that could appeal perfectly to Academy voters, letting the actor return to the role that made him famous while also working with the exciting director and actor combination of Coogler and Michael B. Jordan.
With Oscar nominations coming this Thursday, I wouldn't be surprised at all six Golden Globe film actor winners in the mix.
Credit: The Verge

Music legend David Bowie dies



Singer David Bowie has died at the age of 69 following a battle with cancer.

His son confirmed the news and a statement was released on his official social media accounts.

"David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18-month battle with cancer," it said.

"While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family's privacy during their time of grief."

The singer only released his latest album Blackstar on his birthday on Friday.

There had been rumours about Bowie's health for years.

His last live performance was at a New York charity concert in 2006.

Blackstar, which includes just seven songs, has been well received by critics.

Bowie's breakthrough came with 1972's The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars.

His hits include Let's Dance, Space Oddity, Heroes, Under Pressure, Rebel, Rebel, Life on Mars and Suffragette City.

Credit: BBC